Teams struggling to get players?

Go down

Teams struggling to get players?

Post  Jas1968 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:09 am

Here's a new friendly topic for you all.
Is it just our team or are other teams struggling to get a full team up every week?
Over the past 2 seasons especially we have found it more difficult to get a regular 6 every week , most weeks we are taking 5 players.
We have even signed on players who have never played darts before or who havent played for years.
Im not sure if its just due to the big R word or whether darts is generally not promoted in all pubs ?

Jas1968

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Teams struggling to get players?

Post  Spartan117 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 am

Darts is going through something of a renaissance at the moment regarding popularity but unfortunately, that doesn't always equate to more people playing it and its still not as popular as it was in the 80's/early 90's. Football remains the #1 sport in this country. Darts has still got this stigma of being a "pub game" and people have this stereotype view of what darts is and what darts players are.

I don't think the recession is helping much either certainly

Spartan117

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin jeacock on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:08 am

many moons ago when i was a lad there were a lot more pubs friday nights were spent trawling abingdon playing darts you had no problem getting a game in every pub we went in normally playing for half a pint a game myself and andy crabb used to have many free nights i then got pissed off with smelling like an ashtray had a twenty odd year break , after coming back of course there are alot less pubs i enjoy it now the fags have gone , but i think the problem is most youngersters are not brought up to get involved in pub games most just want to get pissed on shots stare at some bit of skirt all night or pick a fight or argument with something because they have had a boring evening ,wake up in the morning with a fat lip and no money for the rest of the week , a couple of seasons ago i suggested advertising in all pubs a brightly coloured poster stating the fact ,how many people know about monday night darts , and of course money does come into it i'm baffled why the prince of wales charge 2.10 for a pint of fosters and the brewey tap 3.20 ???

kevin jeacock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jas1968 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 am

Kev
Alot of what u say is true, although take my lad for instance, 16 years old , played junior county darts at 12 and cant find a pub to practice in ? he has been told he is not old enough to practice in more than a few pubs.
He plays Oxford league with us on a Tuesday and has been made more than welcome in those pubs.
I can understand that pubs dont want large groups of teenagers in their pubs but they forget these kids are the future drinkers and Dart players of the pubs. and they are turning away business????

I do think they need to promote darts more in pubs, its becoming a big thing again on Tv and it could be one of the things that keeps some pubs afloat.

Jas1968

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin jeacock on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:09 am

the other big thing to consider is of course the enjoyment and interest of the game itself this time of the season you know roughly who is going to be there or there abouts in the leagues so without it sounding like a critiscism for the plough for instance having to travel to say the nuffeild on a cold wet evening may not be that appealing , hence they struggle for a team ,unfortunately that's something you can't change .
Sad

kevin jeacock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:19 am

Maybe, the lack of players is because darts is such a boring game, lol. Come play pool, much better.

Joe
Admin

View user profile http://gkaddl.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulman on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:51 am

I couldn't play with balls in public!!! lol!

Soulman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

POW 2.10 ?

Post  linc on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi Boys
Just to clarify Fosters is 2.40 at the prince not 2.10 but its still cheap. Im not sure if the tap used to be an inn but obviously a highway man runs it now lol!

linc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulman on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:33 am

2.40 still aint bad linc, and you are absolutely right about the Tap. Soapbox time, sorry slightly off the subject of getting players here.

The trouble is that Greene King have a monopoly in the town and there are very limited 'respectful' drinking holes in the centre of the town, hence the Brewery Tap's inflated prices. We are left with very little choice and therefore have to reluctantly pay it if we want a drink. What the centre of town badly needs is a decent sized Wetherspoons Pub, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons wouldn't it, after all theres nothing wrong with a little healthy competition is there?

Oxford have done it (The Four Candles-George St, some beers 99p a pint!!!), so why not Abingdon. I know that Wetherspoons are very keen to come here and I would welcome them with open arms. Give them the old Dawsons music shop opposite HSBC, that would be perfect. Then perhaps the greedy bastards at Greene King wouldn't have it all their own way. Apologies for the language but this is a sore point with me.

Soulman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53 am

I think there could be a wetherspoons coming to Abingdon, not sure when, but I heard it was happening.

Joe
Admin

View user profile http://gkaddl.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post  monkey_tennis on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:22 am

Wetherspoons have applied for a few locations across town (old police station, ASK restaurant etc) however they are usually turned down on the grounds of promoting binge drinking with their low prices. It is also understood that a certain landlord of a town centre pub vigorously opposed Wetherspoons being allowed in. No prizes for guessing which pub. Clue: an anagram of said pub is.... Y Brew Pet Rat? Shocked

monkey_tennis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulman on Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:05 am

I heard this too, but I've also heard they might be going soon....

Soulman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down